Health Sciences Library Guiding Principles
The Health Sciences Library is located on the main campus of
The mission of Baystate Health is to improve the health of all people in our communities every day, with quality and compassion. To support that mission, the Health Sciences Library responds swiftly, accurately, and respectfully to all requests for information.
We are committed to upholding these guiding principles:
· Select resources appropriate to the mission of Baystate Health.
· Organize and deliver digital, video, audio and print resources for optimal usability.
· Provide 24/7 access to library resources for on-site and remote library users.
· Promote awareness of library resources and services within Baystate Health.
· Participate in resource sharing nationwide with medical and health sciences libraries.
· Pursue professional development in order to learn about, promote and support current best practices of library resource delivery.
· Troubleshoot access to library resources with on-site and remote library users.
· Perform professional literature searches for clinicians and community health workers.
· Maintain resources and services relevant to supporting researchers and educators.
· Incorporate the practice of digitizing archive materials and scholarly output in order to safeguard the history of Baystate Health.
· Support intellectual freedom through resource development and delivery.
· Provide authorized access to resources restricted by copyright and/or license agreements.
· Counsel library users in methods of adhering to the Fair Use Doctrine.
· Adhere to the professional standards of the American Library Association, the Medical Library Association and the Special Libraries Association.
· Participate in the National Network of Libraries of Medicine to provide access to biomedical and health care information nationwide.